Saturday, July 21, 2007

Coconut Grove Beach Resort, Elmina

Shortly after my parents arrived in Accra, we (my mom, dad, Chloe, our driver, Ben, and I -- Brent was in Guinea at the time) left for a long weekend at the beach! It was my third time out to the Cape Coast area, so I was somewhat relieved to find that my parents didn't want to go see the Dutch and Portuguese Forts that are infamous for their role in the slave trade. The forts are interesting the first time around, but I'm not sure that they are something you really need to revisit.

Without traffic, it's about a 3.5 hour drive to Elmina. Most of that time is spent just trying to get out of Accra...not dissimilar to trying to get out of Manhattan on a summer weekend! The journey is an easy enough route, but we decided to take Ben along with us so that he could take my
my dad out on birding trips in the wee hours of the morning. And, not only would Ben would make overtime, but he'd also get to truly pocket the "driver's allowance" we pay him for each night he's out on the road with us because he could stay at the apartment his sister was in as she was finishing up at the Cape Coast University.


We had stayed at Coconut Grove one time before when Brent's mom was in town. We had learned the hard way which rooms to request. Actually, when Brent's mom was in town, it was Easter Weekend and we were lucky to get any accommodations at all! This time, we had booked one of the family chalets right on the beach. These are two-bedroom little houses--that are actually much cuter from the outside than they are inside, but hey, how much time are you actually going to spend in the room anyway!? The family chalets are definitely the way to go if you have kids with you. The primary benefit? You have a little veranda overlooking the Gulf of Guinea with a 4-seater table -- which enables you to dine outside in the comfort of your own home! The waitress will bring you the menu, take your order and essentially give you room service at NO ADDITIONAL COST! Perhaps this doesn't seem like such a big deal. However, dining out with kids in Ghana has its challenges...the greatest being the wait time between placing your order and getting your meals. On average, you wait an hour -- no matter what it is that you have ordered! I don't know about anyone else's kids, but for Chloe, this is just simply too long!

The waters off the shore of Ghana are very rough, so swimming is not generally adviseable. The undertow is super strong and swimming is the number one cause of death for tourists here. So, when you go to the beach in Ghana, you are usually looking at the beach, but sitting pool-side. Certainly there are exceptions, but in general, that's how it is. You can definitely wade into the crashing waves, and the water is shallow for a good long way out, but swimming, no! We have found that Chloe is fearless! She loves to get totally soaked by the white water and believes that she would have a much grander time if only we were to let go of her.

So, I'm no history scholar. And I'm sure I'll get lots of flack for what I am about to write, however, write it, I will. In the U.S. we don't really get the full story about the slave trade. At least not in the history classes I took. There had been a slave trade going on between African tribes long before the Europeans came into the picture. And, it wasn't the white man going into Africa, capturing Africans and enslaving them. No, no, no...that's not the story they tell you here. Most of the slaves were readily handed over to the Europeans, en route to the US and other destinations, in trade for all sorts of things. The slaves were essentially "prisoners of war"! The African tribes were simply trading their POWs for goods they believed to be more valuable. Trading POWs was a custom they had in place long before the southern plantation owners took on slaves!

I am not excusing the practice in any way, however, it just puts things into a different perspective.

Anyway, a good weekend was had by all. My mom had a rocky start with a 24-hour bug that was quite nasty, but she recovered well, and our seaside retreat was quite enjoyable.

5 comments:

Stella said...

Hello!
I was looking for yoga classes in Accra and I stumbled upon your blog!

I was wondering if I could join your class.

Please let me know if that's possible.

Email: decidella5899@hotmail.com

Thank you!

valmich said...

Hi! I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago and have enjoyed following along on your adventures. My husband and I will be coming to Ghana from Michigan in February with our (at that time) 18-month-old son, and I would love to hear more about your experiences there with a toddler. I'm at vladuke@hotmail.com. Hope to hear from you!
Veronica

Barbara said...

Hi,

I just found your blog and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it, and hope you'll be adding more.

I'm an (NJ-born) obroni living in Ghana (Tema), too, now here going on 3-1/2 years with my Ghanaian hubby and 3 kids. Fun/different, ain't it? So many of your experiences are a lot like ones we've encountered as well. If you feel like comparing notes, feel free to email me at barbslyz@yahoo.com.

I've also recently started blogging, it's Obroni Observations here on blogger.com.

Barb

Unknown said...

Hi there!

I am arriving in Ghana with my partner Olivier (Belgian) settling in Accra. I found your blog really helpful and insightful into the daily life in Ghana. I can't wait to hear your next installment!

Robyn (Canadian)

Unknown said...

Hi,
Came across your blog by chance, really loved it. You are doing a great job!
However as you expected I really do feel I need to bring to draw your attention to this. Having done having done a lot of research on the topic I can assure you that most were taken by force and the white man didn't hesitate to Africans to do their dirty work by giving them Guns and some alcohol,or using slaves themselves as raiders, need I mention that these wars were also instigated by the slave traders?
Let me give you an example during the horrors of the Second World War were not a small portion of Jews paid or intimidated to hand to find or hand over their people, Is it even and them blamed?
Sorry if I seem a bit is harsh, It is just that I feel any time a white person hears that some POWs were sold off as slaves, we become very vocal about it. I think it makes us feel better kinda like trying to purge ourselves of taking full responsibility off the atrocities.
Please keep up the good work on your blog. I am a big fan.