Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bush is gone!

You may have heard in the news that President Bush had an official three-day visit to Ghana. Let me tell you about this three-day visit.

His entourage of three planes arrived on Tuesday night at 7 PM. All roads leading to the airport were closed as of 3PM. I am not sure how to describe the havoc that this wrecked on traffic. Traffic is a problem here anyway, closing the airport bypass road? well, that's just insanity.

Tuesday afternoon, Chloe came home with a note from school saying that "in the interest of the children", the school would be closed on Wednesday due to the President's visit. The stated concern was that the change in environment (i.e. lots of military presence with huge guns...that never did materialize) would greatly impact these fragile children. What we, the mommies, believe is that the school didn't want to have to battle the crazy traffic to get in to school. We don't blame them. We wouldn't want to have to do that either. But just come out and say so. Traffic we can understand, fictitious military, we can't.

Wednesday, almost all schools in the Cantonments area are closed...who knows about the others. Even, GIS (Ghana International School)--the very school Bush was supposed to go visit because of some NGO that is located there...hmmm. Traffic all over the city is blocked to make way for the President. But the President's motorcade didn't pass by most of these blocked roads? Were they blocked due to logistical incompetence? Or were they blocked as a decoy? I guess it doesn't really matter, because it will never happen again. On Wednesday night, at the Banquet Hall, it was announced that the new motorway in Ghana would be called the George Bush Motorway!! And to show his gratitude for such a gesture, good ol' George promised that the next time he came the roads would not be blocked! What a guy!

Thursday morning, Bush and his entourage depart for Liberia. It's already chaos there, they'll never know the difference!

7 comments:

POKI said...

Greetings!
I found your blog during a Google search for yoga classes in Ghana. I am traveling the country March 8-April 29, inspired to explore traditional healing through dance rituals. I am a 50 year-old French-born global citizen residing in the USA for 30 years. I founded Gypsie Nation (http://www.gypsienation.com), an organization currently offering community dance rituals for medicine in four American cities.
I was wondering if you could help me with:
1) Locating places where yoga classes are offered (in Accra and coastal area).
2) Locating a cheap, safe and cool place to lodge upon my arrival in Accra.
3) Putting me in contact with people who practice healing through dance.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide

Poki
poki@gypsienation.com

Fox Wesley Buchele said...

Actually, I guess you didn't see much of Bush's motorcade or go out, because there *was* an abnormally large supply of military with big guns, especially at the blocked parts. I know because I live in Cantonments, and they were all over the blocked roads to GIS.

Oh yeah, and Bush mainly visited GIS because the Beacon House orphanage had a t-ball game that he went to go watch and socialize. They closed the roads around it after everyone had already gotten there, and reopened after Bush left.

I do admit the roads blocked were a nuisance, but remember how the Secret Service is (They booked the entire of La Palm, Golden Tulip, and another hotel I can't remember, and switched around where he stayed). And for anyone that claims that Bush's presence was too much of a nuisance consider this: If Bush had been assasinated in Ghana, how would the US respond?

-Yet another obruni in Ghana,
Fox

Ashley WZ said...

Hi there
We might be coming up to Ghana on a 2/4 year contract. I'd love to ask some questions about schooling (we have a 5 & 7 year old) & accommodation. We are South African. Please could you reply to my email ashleywz13@gmail.com
Thanks very much Ashley

Unknown said...

Hi!
My name is Maude, I am a 26 year old Canadian. My boyfriend, Oliver, is a PhD student at the university of Sussex in England, and just landed in Accra for a 4 month research trip. He's looking for a room to rent in a house for those 4 months, and is having trouble finding one. He's a 27 year old responsible Scottish student. I was hoping you might have some tips about how he could find a place, or if you knew people who rented rooms. I don't think you were expecting people to use your blog as an advice centre for Accra, but it's quite hard finding that sort of information from my computer in Montreal! Thank you for your help if you can help, if not, keep enjoying Accra! I'm going there myself in October before heading to Ethiopia for 2 years, and am really looking forward to it!
Cheers,
Maude
maudera@gmail.com

Raúl said...

me gusta mucho tu blog lo visito a diario visita tu e mio y si t gusta deja un comentario y nos linkeamos los blogs

Unknown said...

Hello!

My husband and 3-month-old daughter and I have just arrived in Ghana from California. He is working on installing clean water systems in villages. I am taking care of our little girl. I would love to connect with other expats in in Accra (being at home alone with a baby all day gets old fast). Please feel free to email me if you are interested in connecting. Thanks! Guenevier

guenizinser@yahoo.com

baresytapas.es said...

I came to this place by chance, but I found very interesting. Greetings to all the people who visit this page.

http://www.baresytapas.es