Friday, May 11, 2007

From Little Acorns Grow Tall Oaks


Chloe started "school" on Tuesday, April 17. She's not even 2...does it really count as SCHOOL? I honestly hadn't ever considered sending her, but three months without our container -- which contained all the things that were intended to enrich Chloe's life here in Ghana -- was enough to get me touring nurseries, creches and daycare facilities!

There are a surprising number of these establishments here, but then you rule out all those that aren't up to international standards. And then those that have a minimum age of 3. And then, of course, all the French ones (because they are extremely snooty about their French-ness)! And then the British ones (because even for the 18-month set they are extremely regimented)...and what you're left with is Montessori and Montessori-hybrid. Which was just fine with me.

This is what brought us to LATOIS -- Little Acorns Tall Oaks International School. Could the name be any worse? Little Acorns is the name of the program for the pre-school set. Tall Oaks is the primary and secondary school. It seems as if all the families with toddlers and preschoolers in Orchid Gardens send them to this school, so we figured it couldn't be all bad. And it's less than a 5 minute drive away.

Every morning at 7:50 AM, I pack Chloe into her car seat with a bag which contains a change of clothes, extra diapers, wipes, a snack, and a drink cup and off we go. On the days that we are running late, the entry gate is locked and we have to go the departure gate. Luckily, there is absolutely no shame in this. We enter school through the main entrance (pictured above), say hello to all the faculty that are hanging around the lobby, and, of course, to the fish in the tank. Then we go down the hall to the very end where we find the Buttercup Nursery. Chloe takes one look at all the kids that are already there and then mommy (that would be me) becomes invisible.

There are 3 teachers, and Chloe seems to like all of them. One whisks her out of my arms and immediately starts engaging her. Another relieves me of the diaper bag. And I then watch, completely unnoticed, as Chloe becomes her independent, social self. There are about 12 kids, 6 of which are from Orchid Gardens. They are from Ghana, Denmark, Spain, England, Lebanon, Cameroon, and who knows where else. Chloe is the only American. Thobian and Carmen, both kids from our neighborhood, cry every single day at drop off. So, I count my blessings and rush out before my luck changes.

The first couple of days, when I would pick Chloe up at noon, she would be very excited to see me. Those days are long gone. She's quite content there, playing with the toys, reading the books, singing songs, going to the music room, playing outside in the playground, coloring, etc. She often has no idea I am even there, until one of the other kids tells her. Sometimes I get a smile. More frequently just an acknowledgment that I am there and then she returns to whatever task was at hand. But then there is this little boy, whose name I don't know, who has taken a liking to me. He's always so affectionate and wants to be picked up. Chloe catches a glimpse of this, gets quite jealous and comes running over to me! Relief!

No comments: